Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Week Two - Day 3

CrossFit Programing...

For the past two weeks I have been going hard and strong with a 5 day work/2 day rest training week. As far as CrossFit is concerned this is OK... if you can handle it! Coach teaches that a 3 day work/1 day rest training routine is much better.
In regard to CrossFit's training schedule; Coach says, "We’ve found that this allows for a relatively higher volume of high-intensity work than the many others that we’ve experimented with. With this format the athlete can work at or near the highest intensities possible for three straight days, but by the forth day both neuromuscular function and anatomy are hammered to the point where continued work becomes noticeably less effective and impossible without reducing intensity." (CrossFit Journal Issue 06 - February 2003)

As I have outlined in "The Hard Routine" I will be maintaining a 5 day work/2 day rest schedule, but as of today I am changing my mind! With advice from Dutch (Crossfit trainer), Jordan (wife-to-be) and Coach Glassman (founder/creator/coach of CrossFit) I am moving to a 3 day work/1 day rest training schedule.
Why you may ask?
Yesterday I hammered out a new PR on "Kelly". I dropped my time 2 1/2 minutes to 23:10!!! After the workout I felt great and taught summer school until noon, went home ate and then vegged for the next 5 hours. I couldn't move. All I wanted to do was sleep, but my body hurt so much that didn't happen.
CrossFit calls this "Rhabdomyolysis" or "Rhabdo"- is a breakdown of muscle cell contents that results in the release of muscle fiber contents into the bloodstream. aka - very bad for Danny!!!
My body was telling me to rest and I hadn't been listening for the past two weeks. Today has been great! I feel good and can't wait to get back into the swing of things tomorrow.
Jordan went to CrossFit ATM this morning and was the only person there. She got some one on one time with Dutch and worked on the Front Squat and talked Zone! "She's get'n on it and stay'n on it!!!"

Sleep: 7 hrs

Zone:
Total Blocks =17 -19 Blocks
Breakfast 4P,4C,5F
Lunch 5P,5C,3F
Snack 2P,2C, 2F

Dinner - CommGroup Meal?

WOD: Rest Day
CFE: Rest Day

2 comments:

joe.peebles said...

I like that dinner is "CommGroup Meal." In my experience, potlucks and holiday meals are best left to be what they are, and not cheapened by analysis or supposed nutritional "knowledge".

Also in my experience (with regard to your new 3/1 schedule), I find that playing with the numbers doesn't make the math any more difficult, such as 1/2, 1/3, or even 1/6. All are equally valid combinations of integers and, as such, perfectly acceptable as numbers useful for plugging into life.

Daniel Morchat said...

this is true Joe... when looking at life through the lens of a math major (your wife) you can't just give one fraction all the glory. my original 5/2 which is improper could be better written as 2 and 1/2. This allows for 1/2 to come onto stage while his assistant ..2 engages the crowd. I will try to give more fractions acknowledgment in my life, but until that day I plan to stick with the 3/1 which is really 3.

peace,
d