Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"To Get One's Goat" or "My Goat" a short story by Danny Morchat

Most of the things at annoy me are: spam, telemarketers, HEB on Sunday night, my landlord and overhead squats! This morning at CrossFit we did a famous workout called "Nancy" it is 5 rounds for time of - 400m sprint and 15 overhead squats at 95lbs. Like I said in yesterday's post... I have been trying to go "Heavy" on my workouts, but the second I posted that on the blog "Nancy" shows up on the whiteboard in the garage and I am rethinking my statement.(Definition taken from http://www.zyra.org.uk/getgoat.htm) The saying, "That gets my goat" comes from the 1900's and has two origins:
1.Horses of a highly-strung nature were often accompanied by a goat (or sheep). It was a way of calming a horse down, especially a thoroughbred horse before a race. The legend has it that rivals and crooks deliberately betting against that horse, would steal the goat, resulting in the horse being upset and less able to race. Such practices are uncommon these days.

2. There is an old French phrase "prendre la chevre" which also means approximately "to get your goat" or "to take away the goat". Various places suggest this is because in old times a person's goat would be their only source of milk, so they'd be understandable pissed if someone took it!. With that being said... I hate Overhead squats. They "get my goat"
This morning they made me feel like a French man who realized that he had to eat his cereal with water. I have realized that I have 4-5 "goats" in CrossFit
1. Overhead Squats
2. Sumo Dead Lift High Pulls
3. Handstand Push-Ups
4. "Linda" aka "Three Bars of Death"
5. Dead Lift

With that being said... Jonny Kalaher suggested that I warm-up with "my goat" before every workout. Thanks Jonny... I will and no one will steal my milk goat!!!

WOD:
Nancy
--------------
400m sprint
15 Overhead Squats
----------------
Danny = 17:02 w/ 98lbs (NEW PR!!)
Jordan = 19:08 w/ 52lbs

Judo: 1 1/2 hours
Zone/Paleo: Somewhere between 15-17 blocks

No comments: